Apr 27, 2010

The Damned United

Yesterday, after finnishing my River Phoenix tribute, I found one more quote I'd like to share. This one is by River himself.

"I don't want to die in a car accident. When I die it'll be a glorious day. It'll probably be a waterfall."

I'm not sure how that makes me feel, I'd like to know what the context was. But yeah... It wasn't glorious when it happened. Not a waterfall, no.

Okay, not to be too grim (or a hypocrite, again, since last night I wrote that people concentrate too much on his death), I'll add two more that I liked.

"I wouldn't eat a hamburger for 40,000 dollars."

I wish I could say the same...

"Everything is ironic to me. There are moments I find hysterical, but I'm probably the only one who would find that, except for a few people."


And now for something completely different!



The Damned United (2009)


Directed by Tom Hooper. Starring Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall, Colm Meaney, Jim Broadbent.

Long story short: Brian Clough takes over the management of England's top football club Leeds United, after his biggest rival Don Revie retires from the job. It gets personal, and it gets nasty.

Like I said, completely different, no heartbreaking romances this morning. This is a bit odd choice, as I know nothing about football, but I have my reason(s), and we'll get to that, later.

Based on the research I've done (= I read the first paragraph of a review in IMDb), there are not many good football movies around. The only football movie I can remember is Bend it like Beckham, which I saw approximetely half a millenium ago. So, I just have to take the reviewer's word for it: this was a welcome movie for the football world! Now, from the point of view of a non-football fan, this could have been a very boring movie to watch. It's based on actual events and people, of which I'd never heard of before. I don't understant the crazy passion that the British have towards this game. (I wrote 'the British', instead of 'Brits', because, apparently, it's like calling Americans 'Yankees'. See, I've learned something this year, wohoo!)

However, I enjoyed the film from the very first scene. The reason has to be Micheal Sheen. He's just kind of brilliant! And excellent as this slightly cocky, super über ambitious and confident football manager. He also did couple of tricks on the field himself, and I don't if it was Michael Sheen or stuntman+CGI kicking that ball, but anyway, whoa. (And I'm looooooving that accent, good gracious.) The film was entertaining to watch and easy to follow, and it had flashbacks too, which always gets a thumbs-up from me. Also, I always like when in the end of a movie based on real people, they show how they really looked like and you can compare them to the actors. Michael Sheen was a great choice! He's cool (not so cool as a vampire, though). Oh and we got to visit Brighton! I've never been to that place, but everytime I see a picture I just want to leave right away. It's beautiful!

There, some shameless and beside-the-point Brighton advertising for you!

And... hmm. Do I still have something to say about the topic, I don't know, I got kind of distracted there. Hmm. One intelligent observation: There seems to be no British film without a Harry Potter actor in it. This one had Wormtail (again, named Peter!) and Prof. Slughorn. Maybe everyone in Britain just have been in a Potter film. Oh and the reason I watched this film, I almost forgot! It's silly. I knew Chris from Skins would be in it. And he was, for two glorious minutes, at least! He even had a line, which consisted of at least six words, can you believe it! And he wore a stupid black wig. Ha ha. I just need to settle on waching him on Skins. Too bad.

In summary, The Damned United was a film worth watching, especially if you are a football fan, but even if you're not. (Insert a glance outside the window here.) And if it's supposed to be bloody spring and it's bloody snowing. Sigh. Gotta love this country. Cheers, mates, I'm off to Brighton.

"We're just gonna have to beat him, Pete. Beat him if it's the last thing I do."

No comments: