May 4, 2010

Kick-Ass

Sometimes it's very handy to have a little brother! At the moment I'm at home, meaning at my parent's house, and I talked my brother into going to watch Kick-Ass with me: he buys the tickets, I buy the popcorn! Works every time, ha ha. I just love cinemas! I could live in a cinema. Or at least work in one. If I had time and money, I'd go to cinema every single day, I swear! Alright, here we go...



Kick-Ass (2010)

Directed by Matthew Vauhgn. Starring Aaron Johnson, Mark Strong, Chloe Moretz, Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

Long story short: A geeky teenager Dave decides to become a superhero, because who wouldn't want to put on a costume and fight crime? Turns out he's not the only superhero in town. And there's also a group of bad guys, really bad guys, who need to be taken care of.

To summarize my feelings, I'll quote Damon Lindelof, one of the creators and writers of Lost - and also my favorite real life geek. This is what he wrote on his Twitter page a while back: Kick-Ass did just that. Amen! I couldn't have said it better myself. I had really high expectations, but for once they weren't too high. Kick-Ass has to be one of the most entertaining movies EVER! First of all, how cool is the idea of geeky teenage boy becoming a superhero, just for fun? Oh yes. Excellent.

What is the official genre of this film, anyway...? Because it had like, everything. The humour was just great, at times it reminded me of Zombieland, which I also liked a lot. I loved all the references to comic books and popular culture in general... ("I always wanted to say this. Say hello to my little friend!" and "Haven't you seen American Beauty or Sin City?") I almost cheered when they mentioned Lost, too! (Especially since the same thing has crossed my mind, too! That's a bit sad, isn't it? Ha ha. Yes. But I really like Lost, okay?)

The plot ran smoothly, building up very nicely, and there was no dull moment. It obviously made me laugh, but it managed to touch me, too. And I got shivers, twice, which doesn't happen in every movie. The characters, then, and the cast. Mark Strong was quite brilliant. I sometimes have some problems with Nic Cage, but he was rather funny. I've previously seen Christopher Mintz-Plasse in Role Models (very funny, too! And he's just hilarious.) and I like him. The question is, will he ever play anyone who's not a geek? Not that there's anything wrong with that, no.


Then two of my favorites. I think Hit Girl just might be the coolest little girl ever. I was her who caused both of the shivers. (Her and the music.) She was like Natalie Portman in Leon, only trillion times cooler. There's a role model for you! ... Or not, but anyway.

It's not unusual for me to dislike the main character. But not this time! How could you dislike this fellow?


At the beginning Aaron Johnson had been ugly-fied, with a trick that has to be the oldest in the book of Hollywood: mess up the hair, put on some unstylish clothes and a pair of glasses. As the movie goes on, he magically starts to look better and better. And actually, it's not hard to believe that this is the same guy:


"Hi! My only superpower is to be invisible to girls." Yeah... right. I feel your pain, man.

Anyway. I checked his IMDb page, and I was happy to find out that he plays the young John Lennon in Nowhere boy, which has been on my must see list for a while now! That's it, now I'm really watching that film.

Kick-Ass offered some of the best ass-kicking in the history of kicking asses. It was bloody and violent, but not in a disgusting kind of way. Not too disgusting, anyway... I'm not very familiar with comic books, but still I enjoyed the movie hugely. And I'm looking forward to the sequel. There will be a sequel, right?

"With no power, comes no responsibility."

And an honourable mention:

"Fuck this shit, I'm getting the bazooka!"



Edit// Aw crap, I just found out that Aaron Johnson is younger than me. I'm officially a cougar! Hurray. Oh well. It's fashionable nowadays.

6 comments:

Eve said...

(Why doesn't that work with MY little brother?? Not that he would got to the movies with me, he's probably too COOL for that.)

"Kick-Ass offered some of the best ass-kicking in the history of kicking asses." <-- Best line ever to describe this movie!

I agree with you on most things. I think Mr. Cage was funny, even though he's not usually my favorite. I loved his Ass Kick -line! Hit Girl is cool and Mr. Johnson is hot. There's just nothing wrong with this movie!

If this isn't clear enough already: I loooove Kick-Ass! I can't wait the Blu-Ray/DVD.

Eeva said...

(It must be the result of years and years of manipulation... Or, I don't know, he's just not cool at all. :D Okay, kidding. Kind of.)

Cage's Ass Kick -line was great, I agree! And that little awkward laugh after, haha...

I definitely need to get the DVD, too! Although I'm sure it's in its best on big screen... Maybe I'll just ask my brother to buy me a cinema for my birthday.

Anonymous said...

Oih, Nowhere boy oli hyvä! Söpö Paul McCartney siinä <3! VAIKKA olin vähän shokissa, kun siinä ei ollut yhtään Beatles-biisiä mukana, hmmn.

Eeva said...

Oiiii, pakko nähdääää! Mutta mitä ei yhtään Beatles-biisiä?? Höh. No, ehkä se kaikki söpöys korvaa tuon. Tämän kerran.

Nora of Alusvaatteet Verkkokauppa said...

"Kick-Ass offered some of the best ass-kicking in the history of kicking asses"
--> It is perfectly said!
I also really enjoyed this movie. Blody, Action and Humour :)

Eeva said...

Haha, that is quite a nice line by me, I must admit. ;)