Jun 12, 2011

Paul (2011) - a little something-something for the fanboys


directed by Greg Mottola / starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen

Blah. I was looking forward to this because Team Pegg/Frost always seemed to deliver, but I guess that's only under the direction of Edgar Wright. And when there's Cornettos involved. I guess I have to admit I just didn't fit the target audience. I mean, I'd like to think I'm kind of geeky, and I am indeed excellent at catching Star Wars references, and E.T. as well (although it's been over a decade since I last saw the movie (just making a mental note on that rewatch list)), but when it gets any more hard core than that, I'm out.

Paul is about two British hard core nerds, who fulfil their life-long dream and go to Comic-Con. On the way back they make a cool Alien roadtrip, visiting all the Alien-related places in America. When driving through Area 51, they meet an actual Alien. Called Paul. Only he's not quite what they expected.

The problem with Paul - or, the problem I have with Paul, is that its humour is too American. No offense of course, American humour can be a lot of fun, but with Pegg and Frost, I just kept missing the dry, sarcastic, distinctively British humour of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. It was just too much about certain body parts and that certain kind of intercourse, and that kind of humour will only take you so far. Usually, not far enough. Thus, blah.

I liked some of the nerd stuff, yes. That Empire t-shirt seriously was quite cool, and I would've been upset for its sorry fate as well. I'm also having a weird geeky desire to start reading some geeky Alien stuff, about conspiracies and all that. I even feel a bit like watching Roswell, although I never did when it was hip and in and cool.

Seth Rogen's voice didn't bother me; in fact, at times I even found Paul almost charming. Note, ONLY at times. Jason Bateman was cool because agents are cool, and I obviously enjoyed the little Glee invasion aka the tiny role by Jane Lynch.

I guess that's all I have to say. Paul was okay, but I'm getting a bit tired with just okay. My mind hasn't been blown away since the beginning of March and I miss that feeling of post-cinema awe. Luckily, the final Harry Potter is well on the way (sniff/hurray!), and if that doesn't cause some awe, I'm never stepping into a cinema again. Cross my heart!


"Are you gonna draw me like your French girls, Jack?"

4 comments:

Helinä Laajalahti said...

I liked Paul the Movie, even though I hated Paul the Character ;-) That's because Paul's humour was too "American" just like you mentioned as well.

Eeva said...

Paul might have been a better movie without Paul. :D Two nerds in Comic-Con and in a roadtrip (without actual aliens), I would watch that!

Marja said...

I still haven't seen this one. I had such high expectations for this film and I'm saddened to hear such lukewarm reviews from everyone.

Eeva said...

I wanted it to be so good too. Bummer, but what can you do....